Home CitroŽnŽt home

Site search powered by FreeFind
Do NOT include 'Citroen' in your search terms

GS prototypes


With the abandonment of Projet F in April 1967, Projet G was rushed into production. 

The budget for Project G was minimal and as much as possible had to be carried over from its still-born predecessor.

Probably the most significant legacy of Project F was Dupin’s flat four, air-cooled engine.

The Wankel engine did finally made it into production, but only 847 GS Birotors were made and the majority were subsequently bought back & crushed by CitroŽn, anxious to avoid provision of spares backup for a tiny number of vehicles. 

Above and below the GS was one of the first cars to employ computers to assist in the design.

Below to achieve reasonable performance great importance was attached to aerodynamics
Below are some design studies for Projet G.
Studies for a coupť continued into the early 80s, together with a monocorps based on GSA running gear above.
Below interior mock up.

Above this car is a GS prototype, housed in an Ami 6 Estate body, lowered and widened to accommodate the GS mechanical bits.

When the brief for Projet G was agreed, it was felt that an engine of less than 1 litre would not satisfy customers in the mid range market, so the 950cm3 unit was expanded to 1015cm3.
An early priority was for smooth and quiet running so the cylinder head and combustion chamber were optimised with this in mind, even though fuel economy suffered as a result. 

Above and below Robert Opron was responsible for the bodywork design
Above the GS was built in the factory at Rennes
Above proposal for the dashboard
Below are some design studies for Projet GY - an enlarged variant of the GS.
Robert Opron was undoubtedly influenced by Pininarina's design for a replacement for the BMC 1100/1800 'Landcrab' and many of the styling motifs were carried over to Projet L
pininfarina-bmc-1100-03.jpg
© 1996 Julian Marsh